Do you want to get the most out of your image uploads when creating activities? Here we explain which image format will give you the best and sharpest results.
Which file type/format should I use when uploading an image to an activity?
The best image file format to use depends on what is shown in the image:
- PNG format should be used when the image contains line drawings, text, or illustrations
- JPG or JPEG format should be used when it is a photograph (we store these images in the original compression ratio)
If either the width or height is larger than 1000 pixels when uploading an image to an activity, it will get downsized to that maximum. However, it maintains the aspect ratio of the image so it won’t be displayed distorted.
To ensure the detail remains the sharpest we recommend that all source images are already a maximum of 1000 pixels wide or high when uploaded.
What if my image exceeds the maximum file size?
Do you want to upload an image but it is larger than the maximum allowed file size of 64MB?
That’s not a problem at all.
If you search online, there are many free image optimization tools for image compression available.
- For JPG or JPEG, JPEG Optimizer is one of the first solutions to check out.
- Kraken.io allows you to resize not just JPEG, but PNG as well.
- TinyPNG also compresses both JPEG and PNG image formats but in addition allows you to upload up to 20 images at once.
Alright, that’s all you need to know about image uploads!
With these few tips in mind, you should be well equipped to optimally insert images into your activities.